Less than 24 hours following an epic 25-carry, 205-yard performance against Carolina, Bears running back Matt Forte admitted Monday his contract issue with the club has been a “distraction”, and the two parties are still far apart in their negotiations according to ESPNChicago.com.
“It’s always going to be a distraction because I’m not a robot; I’m human,” Forte said Monday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I try to put it out of my mind sometimes. I go out every day on the practice or game field I’m focused on playing football, I’m not worried about that. But it is a distraction sometimes and you can’t help but think about it a lot.”
The former member of the Green Wave is inked through this season and desired to have a fresh extension completed before the start of the regular season campaign. After falling up short in attempts to land a new deal, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said on Sept. 5 that the two sides agreed to put aside the talks until the end of the season.
“Currently we haven’t really been talking,” Forte said. “After some of the games my agent has called them a few times but no progress has really been made since then. But hopefully today or this week they will be talking again.”
The standout runner said his camp and the Bears were “pretty far off” the last time they discussed the matter.
“It was pretty easy to me looking at the comparisons of production-wise around the league,” said Forte, who leads NFL running backs in total yards per game (158.5). “And like I’ve said in many interviews before, this league is based on production, and my production is up there with the top running backs, elite level. I just really don’t think they think that I’m at that level (or) that I’m that type of player. Our numbers were way off on that point.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Bears Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Bears Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Chicago Bears news.