Shop for Chicago Bears gear at Fanatics.com

Bears Backup QB McCown Says He Won’t Retire

Josh McCown

Bears quarterback Josh McCown, who will be a free agent this offseason, has no intention to retire, a source close to the 34-year-old veteran told Adam Schefter of ESPN.

In what promises to be a thin crop of free-agent quarterbacks, NFL executives believe McCown and Michael Vick will be the top two options for teams searching for someone to compete for a starting job or back up an established starter.

Due to a surprising number of underclass quarterbacks returning to school, this year’s draft also is thinner at the position than some expected it to be.

Chicago wants McCown back, and quarterback-needy teams such as the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans also could be interested.

It leaves McCown, who some though could retire, in an enviable position in which he will have a chance to play if not start — something he intends to pursue this offseason.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Bears Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

8 Responses to “Bears Backup QB McCown Says He Won’t Retire”

1. Wayne says:

McCown played his best game against the leagues worst defense (Cowboys), let us not forget. I like the guy and think that he deserves another chance, but I don’t think that he is a starting caliber QB. I hope he comes back to Chicago at vet min (he is good for Cutler), or that he goes to some other team and soaks them for a two year deal, heavy on the signing bonus.

• jeff guzak says:

Hey Wayne:

Let’s not forget that Cutler sucked ass against an awful D (8.3 rating vs. Washington) which McCown lit up in the second half (120 rating). Let’s not forget that Cutler gave up a pick 6, scored all of 11 pts., and generally played somewhere between awfully and inconsequentially against THE WORST PASS DEFENSE– #32 IN THE NFL– Philadelphia. We forfeited the season putting Cutler back in; we are forfeiting the next 3, at a minimum, re-signing him.

• Wayne says:

@Jeff… I was ready to move on from Cutler after this season was over. But, in the end the Bears didn’t have anyone better, and McCown is still an unknown.
        The Point I was making was that McCown didn’t play enough games against good teams to prove that the 34 year old was worth signing instead of Cutler. Our only saving grace is that Cutlers contract give Emery 3 years to find that someone better. And, if he finds this person in this years draft, this person will be on their rookie contract for the same three years. Here’s to finding that person.

2. EBF says:

I don’t care who McCown excelled against. That’s not the point. The point is he came in and did something that seems to be impossible for the now super wealthy Jay Cutler, and that’s play damn near turnover free football. If Jay had played the way Josh did the Bears would’ve game him double the amount they did. Real talk.

• Wayne says:

Seriously? Yes, McCown played great ball but look at his career. He is an average at best QB. You can’t start him over Cutler, nor can you give McCown the big contract and let Cutler walk. McCown also got very lucky. There were a couple occasions where he got picked, or almost picked but each time circumstances bailed him out.
      Don’t get me wrong. I like McCown and would love to see him return for those many games that Cutler seems to miss every year. Not sure the Bears can afford him anymore.

3. EBF says:

Getting picked and almost getting picked are two totally different things Wayne. I didn’t say give McCown the big contract and let Cutler walk. All I wanted was for Josh to be given the chance to keep playing, especially after the show he put on against the Cowboys on MNF. He was spectacular. Dallas had a terrible defense but so did we and Josh didn’t give Romo and his offense a chance to exploit our woebegone D because he kept the pedal to the metal. 13-1 touchdown to int ratio is something Jay can only dream about. Emery and Trestman seemed to be hoping for a story book ending in which Jay would come back and lead the Bears to the playoffs but it blew up in their faces with that near loss at the Browns and the disaster at the Eagles. Cutler came back before he was physically able against the Lions because he saw what everyone besides Phil and Marc did, that McCown was on the verge of taking his job. Talk to me Wayne!

4. Wayne says:

I hear you and I am on board with what you are saying but McCown can’t remain the starter. I would have like to see him in the game against the Lions. The Lions offense was giving us the game, but Cutler was playing so poorly that the Bears couldn’t take advantage. It left you with the feeling that McCown would have won the game.

I think if they sat Cutler, and McCown plays against the Lions, then Cutler walks in FA. I base this on what happened in Denver when they drafted a QB, and Cutler went wild, crying for a trade. We will see if I am right still. When Emery drafts a QB in the third round, just wait and see how Cutler reacts to it.

Bear down EBF…

5. EBF says:

Yeah you Bear Down too pal. People think I don’t like Jay but nothing could be further from the truth.I love that he’s not phony, doesn’t smile when he doesn’t want to and couldn’t care any less about the desperate, intrusive media than he already does. I jumped for joy when they traded for him and would love to see him ditch the turnovers and become the best quarterback in the game. Maybe Trestman can be like Yoda and Jay will turn out like Luke. LETS GO BEARS!