Former Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte confirmed on Wednesday that he will report to training camp on time despite the Chicago Bears’ refusal to extend his contract, Jeff Dickerson of ESPN Chicago reports.
“Yeah, [I’ll report to camp on time without a new deal],” Forte said.
The 29-year-old Forte can earn a maximum of $8.2 million in 2015 after he led the team in rushing yards (1,038) and receptions (102) last year. He is tops in the league in yards from scrimmage (11,431) since 2008.
“Nobody wants to play on a one-year deal, especially the uncertainty of how football is with how it goes,” Forte said. “You just figure like a guy who’s been there since day one, continues to put in hard work and has produced, you figure that that guy should be rewarded. But in this business that doesn’t always happen.”
Forte reiterated that he’s in good standing with the organization; although he does not expect to revisit contract talks with general manager Ryan Pace in the near future.
“We already visited it,” Forte said. “All I can do is talk to them about it and they can say yes or no. They said we’re not talking about that type of stuff right now, so all I can is play football. I’ve come to the realization that every run or catch that I may have might be my last in a Bears uniform, so if they don’t want to re-sign me I’ll have to play somewhere else then.
The first chance for Matt Forte to prove his worth will be the opening weekend against rival Green Bay. Tickets start at $265 for the September 13th, Sunday afternoon game. Fans in need of travel help should make sure to use our friends over at Hipmunk.com for information on cheap hotel deals near Soldier Field. Hipmunk also provides offers and special discounts on luxury hotels in Chicago, so you can find a spot no matter what type of hotel you are looking for.